Sunday, December 4, 2022

Talk About Busy!

This is less a post about modelling than about the reason for the absence of that quantity--this has been an exceptionally busy year for me in my writing career, including work on two novels, and I have not completed a single model project during 2022!

I have a couple in fairly advanced stages--a Trumpeter 1/35 LAV-25 to be completed in USMC markings for Iraq (Desert Storm), and an old Italeri F-100D to be finished in markings for the 48th TFW, from a vintage Superscale sheet. I hope to have both done before the end of the year, maybe even work on another, but I'll be happy if I can close out the year with two finished projects.

To be fair, I've also had airbrush problems--my trusty Paasche VL developed a fault late last year which required service attention, some new parts, and I had trouble seating the new syphon tube in such a way it would pick up paint properly. This deterred me from the model bench for a long time, freeing me for writing work, but eventually I switched out the tube for the old part--vintage 1989--and it picks up paint just right--so I'm back on as far as paintwork goes.

Then there's the saga of waiting for parts--I needed etched diamond mesh for the LAV (it's the original issue, before Trumpeter added an etched fret for the bustle rack and engine grills). I've chased lots of options but nothing is actually correct and I'm aware I'm looking for a "nearest option" solution. I might just hang a lot of stowage in the rack to disguise the fact the mesh is not right!

I have a long list of models in various stages of completion, some have been waiting years for attention, and I hope to get a few off the shelf of limbo and into the display case during next year, mixed in with some new builds. I have a hankering for a Tamiya Spitfire I, and have the Eduard and AML mask sets lined up, along with aftermarket decals for Johnny Johnson's Battle of Britain mount.

I'll also try to pay this blog the attention it deserves in future!

Thanks for reading,

Cheers,


Mike Adamson


No comments: