Thursday, November 5, 2015

Finishing Product: Australian Airbrush Company Acrylic Cleaning Fluid


There are go-to products that we all use: that favourite putty, that special file, one’s favourite brand of paint. Well, there are products that serve behind the scenes of the modelling art, and I discovered one of them when sending my faithful Paasche off for some maintenance at an interstate company.

Australian Airbrush Company, of Georges Hall, NSW, has been around for 22 years and airbrushes is what they are all about, sales and service, parts, paints, the works, and it so happens that amongst their products is a cleaning fluid designed for stripping acrylic residues out of an airbrush.

The purple-blue fluid comes in a small, handy bottle and makes up with water at a ratio of 1 part fluid to five parts water, and the solution, once prepared in a small container, such as a spare airbrush jar with cap, remains potent for quite a while.

I have cleaned my Paasche with this fluid many times now, and it seems to do an almost miraculous job. I dip my cleaning brushes directly in the fluid and ream the interior workings gently, while the paint nozzle can lie for a while in the solution. The nozzle, being brass, should not be left in the solution too long as the ammonia will etch the metal, but a few minutes seems to be plenty to loosen paint residue, which brushes then remove easily.

Cleaning is a straight forward operation and results in visible bright metal surfaces, which are rinsed with a passing of water through the reassembled airbrush to prevent etching, and the airbrush is ready for action again at once.

This really has become a go-to product on my bench and I don’t see me ever being without it. I recommend this product highly, and you can order it online at:

No comments: